Thursday, December 13, 2007

The True Joy of Christmas

Today was our annual cul-de-sac Ladies Lunch. This gathering has been taking place for nearly 30 years-longer than I've been here! I have been for the past 15 years. Traditionally, we make gifts for each friend in the neighborhood, past and present. This has truly been one of the highlights of living here. This group of women is amazing. The talent within the group is beyond words...quilters, painters, crafters, singers, teachers, spiritual leaders, cooks, performers, just to name a few. I am so blessed to have moved here and to be able to call these women my friends-I miss those who have moved away :(











This year we decided to do things a little differently...we chose someone to give service to. It just happened that one of our former neighbors was in need of a helping hand this year-Carol Moore. Carol lost her father this year, started dialysis three times a week and her overall health is not good. We truly felt that she was someone we could help have a Joyful Christmas! We all pitched in by quiliting, donating money, shopping, wrapping and giving in any way we could. The highlight was giving Carol the quilt. Diane and Kathy spent hours piecing this beautiful quilt and we all helped tie it and the party. Giving these gifts to Carol has truly been the best part of my Christmas. I hope this becomes our new tradition.




And of course, the lunch party was at Bianca's beautiful home (that alone can get you in the Christmas Spirit)!





Check out this Pinocchio collection...it is amazing!


What a Wonderful day

6 comments:

The Pixton Family said...

Wow, I miss those days of the cul-de-sac Christmas party! I never really attended but I'd help my mom get ready. What a great idea to do service and the quilt is beautiful!

Meredith said...

Jill, I am crying - what an amazing tradition you get to be a part of. Thank you for sharing this. The quilt is beautiful - what a treasure - and some very talented quilters!

Michelle said...

Wow! I have always been so jealous of the cul-de-sac luncheon that you guys go to! I need it get one started in my cul-de-sac...I think that it was a great idea to do what you all did for Carol this year!!! Cute pictures!

Jessica F. said...

This post pretty much made me cry! I am so glad that you guys keep that tradition up. I forgot about Bianca's Pinocchio collection, my mom has given her one every year that I can remember!

Hema and Becky said...

I miss the cul de sac! That quilt was beautiful. What a gift of love!

Unknown said...

Hello Jill, I got your blog link from Teri, hope you don't mind. I love this quilt!! What a nice one. It looks like a great scrappy pattern. I just love those because there are so many great fabrics and y9u don't have to "make a decision" just choose all you like!@ I love that idea. Do you have the made of the pattern? I would love to make a lap quilt like this. Just send it to me if you can. Thanks. Love Aunt Cindy