Sunday, January 27, 2008

In Memory...President Gordon B. Hinckley


June 23, 1910-January 27, 2008


I love to see our prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley! I can't believe how I have grown because of him. He is the most amazing example...Because of him, I study my scriptures and the words of the modern-day prophets and general authorities, wanting to have a deeper understanding of the Gospel. I remember our Book of Mormon challenge a few years ago-I remember how wonderful I felt because I listened to President Hinckley and did as he asked. Whenever I hear him speak, I want to be a better person-he inspires me. Because of him, I want to be kinder and more observant to the needs of those around me, seeing those who are in need of aid. Because of his example of always seeing the good, I too have tried to have more optimism, less fear. Because of the prophet, I have grown closer to Jesus Christ; I know Him better; I have felt His love. Gordon B. Hinckley is a true reflection of our Saviour. I believe he has given me a glimpse of what it would be like if the Saviour were among us today. I will always be grateful for his example.


I wrote these words about a month ago after reading one of President Hinckley's talks. I never posted it, thinking I would finish it later. But now is a perfect time. I can't believe he really has died...I never wanted this day to come, but knew it would-I am sad for me, but so happy for him. What a man of God!


Both Maddie and William could feel the Spirit as we talked about President Hinckley tonight. Especially Maddie...she wrote her feelings here. As a parent, I am grateful my children were able to grow to love President Hinckley and learn from him. I will miss him.

"It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers." -Gordon B. Hinckley (from the funeral of wife Marjorie)

2 comments:

Hema and Becky said...

I am so sad that he passed away, but bet he was so happy to see his sweet Marjorie!!

Jana said...

It always feels so different when a prophet has died. I was sad to hear the news, but happy to know he doesn't have to miss his sweet wife a day longer.