Friday, January 25, 2008

Book Reviews


Wish You Well by David Baldacci
*5 stars (out of 5)

After suffering through a car crash and losing their father, Lou (11) and Oz (7) are forced to move to the Virgina mountains to live with their Great-Grandmother and invalid mother. The year is 1940 and times on the mountain and in the small mining communities are struggling. Lou and Oz are struggling to find where they fit in as well. This book is about finding ones self and discovering the things in life that really matter.
I actually cried in this book-books often make me sad, but rarely do I cry.
We live in a world where everyone is keeping up with the Jones' and trying so hard to be the the biggest and the best. Aren't we forgetting what is really important? Our families. Hard work. Honest living. I loved this book and I hope to re-read it often. It is a very good reminder of what is important in life.


The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel
*4 stars

One of my friends loaned this book to me. Livvy, the main character in this novel becomes pregnant by a WWII officer and is forced into a marriage to Ray Singleton, a remote farmer in Colorado. Not only is the story a love story but it tells about Livvy's struggles with leaving her old life behind that had promise and education. Livvy dreamed of becoming an archaeologist. She becomes friends with two girls in a Japanese internment camp. The friendship leads Livvy into interesting paths and some dangerous situations. Hallmark came out with a movie of this book, which I vaguely remember watching. The movie left a lot of the book out, but was good too.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I am STILL trying to finish Vinegar Hill - it is again a "purse book" for me to read when I get a spare moment. I am enjoying watching friend's blogs for book recommendations. (I just got Twilight today from a friend...I am scared it will hook me!) I have never been a huge reader and I am trying to do more. I need to hook up with a friend's book club but sometimes they read self-help parenting books - which I am totally against! hehehe...(bores me to tears.)

Jill, I am flattered that you are linking me! And, if we were in Utah, I bet we would so totally hit it off! I am linking you too! :)

Oh, and I am getting PSE 6.0 - its on a Costco coupon this week. Can't spend the $$ on the full version! www.scrapgirls.com has some tutorials, their daily email newsletter always has tips. I have been "making do" with Publisher and it is easy to use but not very flexible and doesn't have much oomph.

Jill said...

Meredith, Amen on the self-help parenting books-BORING! and not good book club books-moms are too opinionated on raising their children-discussions tend to get a little heated. And next time you are in Utah, let me know...we'll get together.

Jana said...

Thanks for the reviews. I am always needing more books to read. You know me. :)

Jessica F. said...

The Magic of Ordinary Days is one of my favorite books. I love everything about it. Have you see the movie? with Keri Russel?
Have I mentioned that I love EVERYTHING about your blog?