Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Memory Keepers Daughter

I just finished watching the Lifetime Movie, The Memory Keepers Daughter, based on the book by Kim Edwards. I had read the book a while ago and I really liked it...for me, unimaginable events. I cannot imagine giving away a child because of a physical disability. In fact, it's difficult for me to imagine giving away a child for any reason. I find this so ironic for me because both of my children are adopted and someone gave them away to me-four remarkable people being completely unselfish. I was at the hospital for Maddie's birth and witnessed first-hand the physical and emotional pain of her birth mother. Watching her birth mother experience deep sadness was very trying-I was torn...I wanted Maddie sooooo badly, yet, I struggled with the pain her birth mother was going through. And I struggled with being so incredibly happy-I wanted to sing and tell everyone our news and I could not stop smiling...and her birth mother was so incredibly sad. Yet, in the end, she took me aside to tell me...Don't be afraid to be happy. Maddie was never mine...she was always your daughter.

At the end of the book and movie, Phoebe's birth mother (Norah) and mother (Caroline) meet-I found myself really emotional-Caroline wanted so badly to explain everything to Norah...but what hit me so hard was the look on Norah's face that said. "thank you for loving my daughter". I like to think that maybe Norah realized Caroline gave Phoebe the better life.




4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Maddie was definitely always your daughter. Even I have never forgot what her birth mom said. Your experience with adoption is a real inspiration... a true miracle and such an amazing thing. I got teary reading this post... and I haven't even read that book or seen that movie. That's a cute picture of the kids, too.

One Big Happy Family In Utah said...

I can't believe how timely this post is - we were just disussing this book and movie at book club last night! It was interesting to hear how others 'saw' this scenario and recognize that we all have heartache around our children - whether it be through regret, something such as a loss or something more positive like a successful milestone reached.

And I agree with Joce - really sweet pic of the kids!

Meredith said...

What a wonderful commentary on children and loving them no matter how they come into your life. Maddie and Will are such darling beautiful children and they are truly blessed to have you and Bob as their parents. I still need to watch the movie - I need to make sure my DVR doesn't dump it before I can watch it! I really did enjoy the book, no matter how aggravating some character's decisions were!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.