Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Go Green!

Not because of global warming, but because it is ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

For St. Patrick's Day we had a green dinner-green clover-shaped pancakes, green buttermilk syrup, green fruit dip (with strawberries :O) and green drink (milk, lemonade, or water-your choice). Maddie and Wills loved this! (especially Will as he thinks there are real leprechauns roaming around that can turn your hair green). No photos of the pancakes because I had turned my camera onto manual focus and forgot...something our teacher warned us about-dangit!


Will was so excited for this holiday...at school they went on a treasure hunt for a pot of gold (rolos) and saw leprechaun footprints-and of course, he wore green! But his teachers told him no pinching at school, you can do that at home-thanks alot (I didn't wear green)!


BUTTERMILK SYRUP RECIPE
1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 c buttermilk (or 1 c milk + 1 T vinegar-let sit for about 5 min...voila...buttermilk)

Bring the first three ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat and add:

1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
Stir to combine and then lick the spoon :O!

If you haven't tried this...you're missing out! It is now the only syrup we will eat.

9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Really fun! I have heard stories about some kids who the mom does this for and then the kids are so grossed out by the food being green that it was a total flop and they had to cook some regular colored food so they could eat dinner. HA! Bummer that your pictures turned out blurry, I would have liked to have seen the pancakes.

Hema and Becky said...

You are such a fun mom!! I love that syrup too! I can't wait until my kids are older and start to understand the holidays more!

Meredith said...

We did a fun St. Patrick's day dinner with family Sunday - the whole Corned Beef dinner. That is what we did growing up...with a maiden name like McGuire - we went all out! Caroline keeps popping these high fevers and yesterday was a fever/cuddle on the couch day for us...usually we do fun stuff like that! As for the buttermilk syrup - how do you store it? In the fridge or is it shelf stable?

Jill said...

Meredith-You need to keep it in the fridge because of the buttermilk. We usually use about half of a recipe at one dinner and it will keep for a couple of weeks and so we'll have pancakes again.

Jana said...

I am making that syrup next time. Yummy. Sounds like a fun day. Maybe next year I will remember it. :)

Jessica F. said...

Sounds delicious! I am coming next year! I love that you are taking photo classes from the Hill girl. She is totally talented! Your pics looks great by the way!

Michelle said...

Yum! That syrup looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing! I love that you did a whole dinner in green! I have been so focused on Easter that I forgot about St. Patrick's Day until the day of! Oops! There's always next year!

McKelle said...

Jill, hope you don't mind me snooping and checking out your blog. I'm happy your family likes the syrup.

clarke fam said...

I make up a triple batch of the syrup and have it on hand at all times. t is all that my family will eat also!!