Friday, December 16, 2011

List Number One

As I've mentioned earlier, the food here is crazy expensive, no variety, and not very good...this is in relation to eating out. Needless to say, we have gone out to eat only a small handful of times (which means I have cooked more meals than any human housewife should).

Not that I need to eat (even with the lack of yummies, the bread and chocolate here is divine to the taste, but has been horrible for my figure)

Chocolate Aisle in my grocery store!

...but here's my list of places I MUST go when we're home.

In no particular order:
  • Cheesecake Factory - Christmas Eve tradition
  • Chick Fil A - chicken nuggets please!
  • Kneaders - a good ol' American sandwich
  • Taco Bell and Taco Time
  • Subway - the real one
  • Cafe Rio - more. than. once.
  • The Mandarin in Bountiful. Haven't had Chinese food since we've been here
  • Costa Vida - Maddie's favorite 
  • Root beer floats at A and W (per Will and Maddie's request)
  • Pizzeria 712 (although the pizza in Italy is divine)
  • Zupas for salad that's not been pickled
  • Harmon's...just to look around and dream and buy a few items to shove in my suitcase
And the most important item of all is Diet Coke. I could write an entire post on Diet Coke...first and foremost, they don't have the real stuff here - it's called Coca-Cola Light, they drink it room temperature and it DOES NOT taste the same. If you ask for ice, they actually tell you how wrong you are for wanting it and what it will do to your drink. They will then grudgingly give you two cubes which melt instantly in the warm Cola Light. They don't have crushed ice. They don't have cups with lids and straws. No fountain drinks at a gas station. No free refills. When my sister, Jana, was here, we would drive by a gas station and she would ask me if I was sure they didn't have fountain drinks inside. Are you kidding me...of course I'm sure. It was my quest upon arrival to find such a thing. I promised her over and over...they DON'T have it! It's truly one of the saddest things about being here. I know, I am ridiculous, but really?...

Why can't they have it?????!!!!

When I get on the airplane, they better have the real stuff!

I know I'm forgetting so many things...feel free to remind me.


Auf Wiedersehen,

3 comments:

Jessica F. said...

I love this post. Russians were the same way about their cold drinks. They had no problem eating ice cream on the street at 40 below but cold drinks... CRAZY.
Live it up with that chocolate!

Ruth Wollnik said...

Jill, you haven't REALLY arrived to Switzerland, yet. :-)

Ruth and I have to have you for lunch some day and give you a ramp-up on what to buy, where to eat (btw: we have Subway here as well!) and other things.

Ask Stacie, we have introduced her to Switzerland as well.

Merry Christmas and a good return to Switzerland :-)

Ro said...

Come on Jill, let's go get a 64oz drink with pebble ice...the best