Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cheese and Chocolate

In September we took our first excursion...Gruyere (the delicious cheese of the same name comes from this region of Switzerland). Bob was out of town so we adventured with Rocky and Sarah and Eliot. We started our day at the castle. I was curious how William would do touring a castle...truly not convinced he would find it interesting, but that I would be hearing him complain about it being boring. I was completely wrong. He loved all of it.  And the surrounding area was so amazingly beautiful.

At the castle

After the castle we headed to the Gruyere cheese factory where we indulged in some delicious cheese and learned all about how the cheese is made. Did you know that the type of grass and herbs the cows eat is how the cheese is flavored. I did not know this.  And I cannot believe how many types of cheese there are. (I have learned that man can live by bread (and cheese) alone.)

Gruyere Cheese Factory


Chocolate was our next stop. Saving the best for last in my opinion. We toured the Cailler Chocolate Factory, the oldest chocolate factory in Switzerland. I learned that a "Kohler" was a pioneer in Swiss chocolate making. He introduced hazlenut chocolate which around these parts is probably the most common swiss chocolate. My grandfather is Swiss German, so I'm related to a famous chocolatier...of course I am!

The Cailler Chocolate Factory

The tour ends with a sampling of nearly 20 different chocolates. Honestly, I could not eat them all. I was SICK by the end (Will was not).  From the pictures you can see there was a play ground for the kids to work off the sugar rush! Will had a lot of "working" to do. He must have climbed that pole no less than 30 times.

Ok...do you want to come and visit us yet? Please come. We have room for you and will take you to this chocolate factory!

coming up...house tour!

Auf Wiedersehen,

2 comments:

The Pixton Family said...

I don't want to just come visit- I want to move there! It looks fabulous!

Village Talkies said...

Informative blog! it was very useful for me.Thanks for sharing. Do share more ideas regularly.
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.